- Embark@UGA is a campus based effort providing direct support to students who have experienced homelessness and/or foster care.
- Embark@UGA is a part of a statewide network that seeks to increase college access and retention for homeless or foster care youth in all University System of Georgia or Technical College System of Georgia institutions in Georgia.
- By connecting with Embark@UGA, students will receive individualized support from members of the Student Care and Outreach team and connections to a resource and referral network, whose aim is to promote success and well-being in and beyond the classroom.
Each student at the University of Georgia has a unique story and educational experience. College can be challenging in many ways. Embark@UGA seeks to provide an extra layer of support for students who face homelessness or have aged out of foster care. Definitions of homelessness and foster care are provided below to guide an understanding of what homelessness or foster care may look like.
Being homeless or at risk of homelessness may include:
- Losing your housing
- Sharing rooms with others
- Sleeping on friend’s couches
- Residing in hotels or motels not paid for by the government or charitable organization
- Lacking resources or support networks needed to obtain permanent housing
- Persistent instability due to frequent moves
Foster Care: 24-hour substitute care for children placed away from their parents or guardians and for whom the state agency has placement and care responsibility. This includes placements in foster family homes, foster homes of relatives, group homes, emergency shelters, residential facilities, childcare institutions, and preadoptive homes.
Adapted from: Federal Definition of Foster Care and Related Terms
Listed below are a sample of the campus resources available to students at UGA. This is not an exhaustive list, so we highly encourage students to come and meet with a member of Student Care and Outreach to receive tailored interventions and individualized care.
Housing and Transportation:
Health and Wellness:
If you or someone you know could benefit from connecting with Embark@UGA, please reach out to Student Care and Outreach. The Embark Designated Point of Contact (DPOC) is Carrie Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org), however, any staff member in Student Care and Outreach can assist you.
To connect with Embark@UGA, you can:
- Call the Office of the Dean of Students at 706-542-7774. Ask to speak with a Student Care and Outreach staff member.
- Email us at email@example.com
- Fill out the online reporting form. A staff member will reach out to you.
- Schedule an appointment by calling the Office of the Dean of Students at 706-542-7774.
- We also accept walk-in appointments from 8 AM – 5 PM Monday – Friday.